Thursday, April 23, 2015

Guide to add Google Analytics tracking code to your Blog

Google analytic is the free web analytics service from Google which would help in tracking, monitoring the traffic to our websites. It is a blessing in disguise for me!

I am a rookie into this blogging world and of course as a beginner would be glad to share my experience in setting up my blog. I had wasted a lot of time to insert the tracking code generated into my blog.

So I would like to show few simple steps to get started:

Process 1: To generate the tracking code


Step 1: Log in to google.com/analytics
Step 2: Click on the "Access Google Analytics"
Step 3: Sign in to your google account which you already have else create one.
Step 4: Click sign up for Google Analytics- upon clicking, you will be asked few basic questions-   Account Name, Website Name, Website URL.
Step 5: Scroll down to the bottom of the page & click on get tracking ID

Voila! the tracking ID along with the code is generated.

Process 2: To add the tracking ID to the blog


This process actually flummoxed me as I have not worked with codes et al. And all the help guides like this  mentioned the need to copy the tracking code and paste it just before </head>.

However, there's a simple alternative for a rookie like me.

Step 1: Copy the tracking ID (alpha numeric characters)
Step 2: Login to your blogging account and look for the settings tab on the left side
Step 3: Scroll down and there's Analytics Web property ID where the ID needs to be pasted.
Step 4: Click save & finish

The other manual process is not hard either.

Step 1: Copy the tracking code found just below the tracking ID from <script> to </script>.
Step 2: Login to your blog
Step 3: Click on the Template tab & select 'Edit HTML'
Step 4: Look for </head>  tag and paste the code just before it.
Step 5: Click Save & finish


No comments:

Post a Comment